Sunday, April 5, 2009

Green Chile

This week while making a quick stop at Walmart, I found green chiles in the freezer section... it has been so long since I have had green chile... and not sure I have ever actually made it, but it sounded good, so I grabbed a bag. On the back it had the following recipe:

Green Chile
1/2 cup oil - I used less, probably more like 1/4 cup
1 lb cubed pork
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup flour - I used sweet rice flour
1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes (optional) - I used Muir Glen Organice Fire Roasted
1 (30oz) Select Green Chile - I used the mild ones
6 cups water
1/4 cup chicken bullion

Instructions:
Heat oil in pot, add diced pork and cook, lower heat and add minced garlic, cook 5 minutes, add flour and clightly brown, add tomatoes, green chile, simmer 15 minutes, add water and chicken bullion, cook 30 minutes.

Green chiles were from New Mexico Distributing in Denver, CO - www.nmdist.com

I followed it for the most part, but had to make some minor adjustments...
I only did 4 cups of water, and they added 2 cups chicken broth. Then I realized the recipe probably meant 1/4 cup of the powder that makes chicken bullion (which I did not have) so I added two cubes of Rapunzel Vegan Vegetable Bouillon with Sea Salt. I also added some garlic salt and cumin to taste.

I made some homemade tortillas to go with it and it was a big hit! They were talking about how they were going to put it on the eggs in the morning!

No comments: