Saturday, January 17, 2009

GFCF Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recently I made Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip cookies from the mix and my husband was not impressed. I didn't think they were too bad, but he has been spoiled by my special chocolate chip cookies... he was wishing they were more like the old ones with gluten and casein! Well, I consulted with an experienced baker and she said I could use Bette Hagman's Gluten-free Flour Mix and it should work... so I tried my first gluten-free, casein-free chocolate chip cookies using my old recipe with GF Flour Mix. The dough seemed a little lacking in thickness, but we put a few on the baking stone and hoped for the best. The cookies spread very quickly and were big and flat... and they just crumbled apart!


So I started to look for something else to add to make it right... and I found a section in Chapter 5 of Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis Ph.D. that talked about baking and flowers, etc. Lisa said that you could use Bette Hagman's GF Flour Mix as a substitute for white flour and that you should add 1 tsp of xanthan gum for each cup of flour. Ah-ha! The missing link! So I quickly mixed in some xanthan gum and the cookies were just perfect!

The other trick I learned from the cookbook was to use parchment paper.


Becky's GFCF Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter (sub) softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla (gfcf)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 pkg Enjoy Chocolate Chips
Parchment Paper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla. Beat and add the eggs, mix well. Mix together the flours, baking soda, salt & xanthan gum and then add to wet mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add chocolate chip and mix. Drop batter by well rounded spoon onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet (I used my baking stone.) Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375 until the edges just start to slightly brown. I tend to under cook them slightly so they stay soft and gooey on the inside. Remove and cool and enjoy! Makes 3-4 dozen.

These cookies got two thumbs up from the hubby and kiddos! My first GFCF Baking (from scratch) success!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just in case you were looking for Bette's GF Flour Mix - here it is:

Bette Hagman's GF Flour Mix - suitable substitute for white flour
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
3 tsp xanthan gum

No comments: