Tuesday, May 26, 2009

You are what you eat!

Last December, after several "ah-ha" moments, we decided as a family to remove gluten & casein from our diets. We went cold turkey and I was completely overwhelmed with the whole process! My sister had recently travelled the same road and she was a huge help in getting me started, but I was searching for a book or article or something that would tell me what I need to know... well that book now exists!

The Autism & ADHD DIET by Barrie Silberberg
a Step-by-Step guide to hope and healing by living gluten free and casein free (gfcf) and other interventions

It was a very easy read and it contained everything I was wondering about when we first started on this journey. It has pages of references and web pages with information on stores that carry gfcf foods, eating in different countries, message boards & forums, interventions, supplements, and other disability services available. The part I would have found the most helpful when I first started out is the menu ideas with some recipes where she gives you two full weeks of ideas for what to eat! The bottom line is that we all should be eating healthier.

You are what you eat!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone contemplating making dietary changes for their ADHD child. I will be adding this book to my ADHD Tool box!

No comments: