Friday, December 12, 2008

The blessing... in disguise

The dictionary defines a 'blessing' as:
- a special favor, mercy, or benefit: the blessings of liberty
- a favor or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness

It all started a couple years ago... my youngest son was in half-day Kindergarten and was having some problems at school. The teacher would say, "He is always up walking around and touching things he shouldn't be touching." That should have been our first clue, but he is a boy and school is not conducive to the real needs for movement that most boys have. He was also having outright meltdowns over writing, which were further complicated by a perfectionism trait in our wonderful son.

After what seemed like endless obstacles and conflicting information at every turn, we finally ended up with a diagnosis of ADHD. I won't go into all the struggles, but I will say that I would not wish it on my worst enemy! I can't imagine how many other parents are going through the same exact struggles, not sure who to believe, not sure where to get help, ready to pull their last hair out! I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and if my struggles can help any other parents out there, it has not been for nothing.

Once we had a diagnosis, I set out to educate myself and have now read over 6 books on ADHD... and the Lord is faithful and continues to bring the right people and resources into our lives at the right time. I am currently reading a book that is called "The Gift of ADHD" and it is helping me to re-frame my thinking about ADHD. It is a "a favor or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness" - my son is very creative, extremely smart, and has an unusual intuition. I just have to change my thinking and help him embrace his wonderful strengths and differences!

The Lord has given my comfort in this verse...
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

No comments: