Monday, February 9, 2009

Melty Cheese

I received the following recipe from a good friend:

My mother introduced me to this recipe. It's great; and wonderful on macaroni and steam vegetables. I used salt. My mother and I both have Vitamix blenders so I'm not sure what the consistency will be in a standard blender. But, we got creamy no chunk cheese sauce.

My Note: I have a cuisinart blender and it did just fine - no chunks.

Blend well:

1 cup water

1/2 cup raw cashews (not the salted roasted kind)

4 oz. pimentos or sweet red peppers

1/4 cup oatmeal (or 1/2 cup if used as a spread)

2 teaspoon salt or liquid aminos

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 1/2 T lemon juice

Add 1 1/2 cup boiling water and re-blend. Pour into heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.


We had it over brown rice pasta and my boys ate it... one loved it and the other said it was ok - but it passes for a cheese sauce in our house! It had a little too much red pepper taste for me to pass as a real cheese sauce - I think I might cut back slightly on it next time.

No comments: